NEWS & EVENTS
PARTNERS NEWS & EVENTS
- NAG is holding an informal meeting Thursday 10th November to review 2011 and plan for 2012.….they need to generate some fresh ideas for events next year and need some new volunteers to help organise them! This is your opportunity to have your ideas heard and to get involved.
Drangonfly Bar + Dining, Vic Square, Thursday 10th Nov at 6pm
- The opening of the Water Exhibition by the DIA (SA Branch) on Friday, November 11 at 7pm in the North Foyer of the South Australian Museum.
- The 2011 DIA SA Awards will be celebrated on Saturday, November 12.
- ALL-In….A Whole School Exhibition – from the School of Architecture, Landscape Architecture & Urban Design at Uni of Adelaide- 6pm, Thur 24th November 2011 @ the Mezzanine, level 5 (UoA Hub Central).
- Internationally renowned Australian Urbanist Dan Hill will deliver a free public lecture ‘Recipes for Systemic Change’ on Wednesday 16 November 2011 at 5pm in the Hetzel Theatrette at the Institute Building on North Terrace, Adelaide. Dan Hill is the Strategic Design Lead at the world famous Helsinki Design Lab
Overview – some thoughts
The award entries this year display a rich and varied landscape architecture culture in South Australia.
The profession is maturing into working confidently within traditionally uninvited terrain for landscape architecture – that is, infrastructure. Many projects presented demonstrated how landscape architects provide significant value adding to the infrastructure in their conception, planning and final physical outcome.
The exemplar body of research being undertaken punches above its weight on the Australian stage. This is applauded and the jury hopes to see this continued in the next years.
It has been a very real privilege to chair the jury for 2011 awards – to investigate the work submitted, and engage in stimulating and critical discussion with a high calibre of jury members.
Integrated Design Commission
AILA SA 2011 AWARD WINNERS
THE AILA – SA MEDAL FOR LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE 2011 – Research Category
Living Architecture – Green Roofs and Walls – Authors: Graeme Hopkins and Christine Goodwin
EXCELLENCE AWARD – Research Category Green Infrastructure Working Paper – Oxigen
AWARD – Research Category Gardens that Care: Planning Outdoor Environments for People with Dementia – DesignWELL
AWARD – Planning Category Port Augusta Style Guide – Oxigen
AWARD – Planning Category UniSA City East & West Masterplan – HASSELL
AWARD – Design Category Northern Expressway – Taylor Cullity Lethlean
AWARD – Design Category Australian Native Garden – Taylor Cullity Lethlean
AWARD – Design Category River Torrens Bridge – Oxigen
AWARD – Design Category RG Menzies Walk, Canberra – Oxigen
EXCELLENCE AWARD Urban Design Category
Victoria Square / Tarndanyangga Urban Regeneration Project – Taylor Cullity Lethlean
AWARD Urban Design Category Bowden Village Master Plan – Hassell
- The 2011 National Architecture Awards were on last Thursday evening & DesignInc picked up the National Award for Sustainable Architecture for Innova21 at Adelaide Uni & Tridente Architects picked up a Commendation in The Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture for Caritas College Junior School External Covered Area
- Two Australians also picked up awards at the World Architecture Festival in Barcelona last week. Domenic Alvaro of Woods Bagot picked up the title of World’s Best House at the Festival for his Small House in Sydney & also the Kurilpa Bridge, over the Brisbane river designed by Cox Architecture, has won the ‘World’s Best Transport Building’ award at the prestigious World Architecture Festival (WAF) Awards 2011
- THE former Clipsal Site re-development at Bowden was officially launched to industry representatives last week
- The iconic heritage listed Adelaide Oval scoreboard notched up 100 years of service last week….it was designed by Adelaide architect Frank Kenneth Milne
- The Japanese Government has revealed plans to construct a standby city for Tokyo